Saturday, February 14, 2015

Cupid Should Take Notes

My husband got me pens for Valentine's Day. Seven nondescript ballpoint pens. A lifetime supply of pens for this stubbornly digital, phone in hand, kind of girl. Pens, as you know, are the antithesis of romance, and though they came packaged in a wooden box he stained himself, with the requisite card (more on that later) and a bar of my favorite dark chocolate to be stashed away in the freezer for later emergencies, I can't quite get over the idea of pens as a Valentine's gift.

I kind of want to feel offended. But I can't, and I won't, because I know that each quirky part of his bizarre, but personal expression of love reflects the reasons why I married him and we enjoy a happy marriage.

You see, I (not so) secretly love office supplies. Sharpies, notebooks, a new box of crayons... My heart is always a flutter during back to school season. I haven't bought pens in awhile because, well, I'm a stay at homeschool mom. My current favorite medium is ultra-washable Crayola markers. I've got a pen or two that I like and have managed to not lose, so I'm pretty much set in the ink department. But my love knows that I adore the practical and I know that he actually stood in front of a pen display testing each one until he found the clearest, smoothest writing. Because he loves me. And when I'm using one of these pens, to write a check to pay a bill (can't use washable markers for that!) or jot down a grocery list, I can be doubly appreciative, not just for a pen, but for a husband who works hard to provide for us so I can do things like pay our bills and buy food for my always hungry kiddos.

In my new wooden box, I'll keep my Valentine's cards, the ones purchased from the Dollar Tree and translated from Spanish to English. The very first note Matthew wrote me, way back when we were college freshman, was in Spanish. After graciously explaining that "uhm, I'm Japanese" he translated with what I assume was flawless accuracy. So even though he picked this card because the message was very sweet, it still reminds me of that funny, romantic moment stolen away in the UCF Student Union almost half a lifetime ago.

And as for the chocolate, well, chocolate is almost impossible to get wrong. I'll be saving that for a day when our two biggest blessings drive me to it.

I love that my husband is thoughtful. He's creative. He is true to himself. He is patient with me when I'm grouchy, and he gives me time to figure out why it's okay to get a box of pens when everyone else is getting jewelry and teddy bears. He remembers details from so many years ago, when our love was new, and finds a way to keep them going. I love him lots, and I'm glad he's mine.

1 comment:

  1. I love this so much. Glad I got to see you for a second yesterday.

    ReplyDelete